Director of Design
The Director, Design is responsible for supporting BBI’s growth strategy, which includes a large-scale portfolio of remodels and new restaurant openings for at least four (4) major restaurant Brands. This role directs and manages the activities of the Design Team to complete high-impact restaurant design projects, including prototypes buildings, building conversions, remodels, and design innovation. The Director, Design ensures execution of timelines, in accordance with the capital plan, while influencing and working collaboratively with Brand leadership teams. This role manages relationships with outside consultants and vendors and ensures cost optimization of design elements. This role is also responsible for working collaboratively, and cross-functionally, including but not limited to the BBI teams in Real Estate, Construction, Supply Chain and external partners in requirements gathering, project assessment and scoping, pipeline management and assessing completed projects.
The Director, Design will primarily work in the BBI Restaurant Support Center (RSC) located in Tampa, FL.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provides vision, strategic oversight, prioritization, and direction over the design of a portfolio of remodels and new restaurant openings, supporting at least four (4) major restaurant Brands
- Manages a team comprised of internal and external resources, including designers, architects, engineers, and consultants
- Executes capital planning and budgeting, staffing, performance management, and team development functions for the Design function
- Works closely with Brand leadership in developing and executing design plans that meet requirements and align with the Brand strategies
- Manages relationships with new and existing suppliers and identifies opportunities to optimize costs
- Works cross-functionally (and nurtures relationships) with Operations, Construction, Real Estate, Supply Chain, and external partners
- Works closely with construction leadership to scope projects, to ensure design plans are clear, and to address inquiries and issues discovered during the due-diligence process in a timely manner
- Participates in evaluating potential sites and/or conditions of existing locations to determine scope and required design elements
- Serves as an escalation point for issues that arise during project planning and execution
- Ensures compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines and manages the annual reviewvprocess to guarantee ongoing compliance
- Reviews completed projects to assess compliance and quality of projects being executed
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor's degree is required and preferably in the fields of Architecture, Interior Design, and/or Construction.
- 7+ years relevant architecture and/or design experience; Casual Dining experience a plus
- Ability to read and review architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing plans to ensure brand design intent
- Effective communication, influencing, and organizational skills
- Strong leadership, management, and negotiation skills
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally and to interface and influence senior leaders
- Ability to manage a large-scale portfolio of ~100+ projects and to prioritize workload
- Proficient in portfolio management tools
- 4+ years’ experience mentoring, developing, and executing performance management with internal and external employees and partners
- Ability to travel including overnight, as needed, in support of the Design function.
- Travel expectation is limited and estimated at less than 10%.